He Who Is Faithful With Little....

My name is Nikki. My husband and I have three daughters and are Christians trying to live a simple life and raise godly children. We homeschool, garden, preserve, can, raise chickens, keep bees, and do everything else we can to be self sufficient while we live here in the city. We don't have much space on our little city lot, but we are doing our best to be faithful with little so that we may be found approved to be faithful with much (Luke 16:10). I hope you will find some useful bits of information on raising children, gardening, all matters of the kitchen, and well, homesteading in general!

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thinking Ahead



Thinking Ahead

By Nikki Tafoya

My garden is finished for the season, and I'm already thinking about next year's garden. A few years back, I decided to go organic. What a difference it has made! DE (dietemacious earth) is my only pesticide. And I enjoy every moment my children help me in the garden that I'm not worrying about the chemicals that may be seeping into their skin. Not to mention the chemicals that make their way to our dinner table! I also do not use chemical fertilizers any more. And that is what has me thinking about the garden now in November. In order to keep the soil full of all the nutrients that it needs to grow fruits and vegetables that are full of vitamins and minerals, I must put back into the soil. All summer long I begged grass clippings off my neighbors, who were more than happy to oblige! I used the clippings as mulch to smother out weeds in the garden, but I have since raked them up for further use. Now it's time to ask for everyone's fall leaves. I might even rake up their leaves for no other payment that the leaves themselves. Next is manure. I'll take all the trailer loads of fresh horse, cow, goat, sheep, and chicken manure I can get my hands on and together with the recycled grass clipping and fall leaves I will add them to my garden. I used to till them in, but now I just layer them all on top and cover it with black plastic. Next spring it will be beautiful composted garden soil! I still have a pile of compost going. It is very small right now, but I will add whatever kitchen produce I would otherwise throw out and add it to the pile. And by spring, it too will be good compost, as little as there may be. After a few years of this, all of my garden soil will be dark and rich! Which is good, because I have clay for sub-soil! I challenge each of you to do the same in whatever garden you grow, even if it's just a few flowers in the pot on your porch. Add a little something to it, and you'll be amazed at how much better your plants do each year.

No comments: