He Who Is Faithful With Little....

My name is Nikki. My husband and I have three daughters and are Christians trying to live a simple life and raise godly children. We homeschool, garden, preserve, can, raise chickens, keep bees, and do everything else we can to be self sufficient while we live here in the city. We don't have much space on our little city lot, but we are doing our best to be faithful with little so that we may be found approved to be faithful with much (Luke 16:10). I hope you will find some useful bits of information on raising children, gardening, all matters of the kitchen, and well, homesteading in general!

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Pear Jam

I wanted to try a new kind of jam, and I found a recipe for Pear Jam. It has a really high sugar to fruit ratio, but I decided to try it out anyways. It turned out beautifully! Here's the recipe (from the Ball Blue Book of preserving)

Peach or Pear Jam

1 quart finely chopped, pitted/cored, peeled peaches or pears
7 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. lemon juice
1 pouch liquid pectin

Combine fruit, sugar and lemon juice in a large saucepot. Bring slowly to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir in liquid pectin. Return to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary. Ladle hot jam into hot hars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.Recipe Variation: Add 1 teaspoon whole cloves, 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice and 1 cinnamon stick tied in a spice bag to jam during cooking. Remove spice bag before filling jars.
I don't use a boiling-water canner. I keep my jars hot in the oven and the lids hot in a not quite simmering pot of water on the stove. I've never had a problem with them not sealing properly. I didn't use the recipe variation either.

No comments: