He Who Is Faithful With Little....

My name is Nikki. My husband and I have three daughters and are Christians trying to live a simple life and raise godly children. We homeschool, garden, preserve, can, raise chickens, keep bees, and do everything else we can to be self sufficient while we live here in the city. We don't have much space on our little city lot, but we are doing our best to be faithful with little so that we may be found approved to be faithful with much (Luke 16:10). I hope you will find some useful bits of information on raising children, gardening, all matters of the kitchen, and well, homesteading in general!

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Favorite Bread

After many years of testing different bread recipes, I've finally found one that my family loves and is soft and light enough for using to make sandwiches, and it's 100% whole wheat!

Favorite Bread ~ 2 loaves

1/4 c. honey
1 1/2 t. salt
3 T. butter
1 3/4 c. warm water
5 c. whole wheat flour (I use whole white wheat flour)
1 scant Tbs. yeast

Mix honey, salt, butter, water, yeast, and 1 1/2 cups flour in a large bowl and mix with a whisk for about 3 minutes. Stir in the rest of the flour. Add enough flour so that the dough just stops sticking to your hands.

On a clean surface (surface may be oiled or floured) knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. This usually takes me a full ten minutes. Shape the dough into a ball and roll it around in an oiled bowl so that the dough will not get dry spots. Leave the dough in the bowl and cover it with plastic wrap, a large plate, or clean, damp cloth. Let it sit until nearly double in size. Squish the dough back down, and let sit (covered) for ten minutes.

Meanwhile, oil two medium sized loaf pans. Divide the dough in half and roll into logs that fit the pans. Place seam side down in the pans and lightly oil the top of the dough. I just spray it lightly with a non-stick spray. Cover again and let double in size.

Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees for 27-30 minutes. You may cover the top with foil after fifteen minutes if you like your bread to be just golden on the top.

Take bread pans out of the oven and set on a rack to cool. I leave the bread in the pans and cover it with a clean cloth for one hour. After one hour I place each stil warm loaf into a zip lock bag and let it sit at room temperature overnight. This helps the bread to reserve its moisture. The next morning I put the loaves (still in their bags) in the freezer unsliced.

Whenever I know we are going to need bread, I just take a loaf out of the freezer and let it thaw at room temperature over night. The next day it's just like it's fresh!

No comments: